Thursday, September 6, 2012

To Bag It Or Not To Bag It, That Is the Question...

I read a review today - not for my work - but for a book I was thinking about buying, where the reviewer said the book wasn't 'good' because the hero used a rubber. Now, if you're like me, you're wondering what the heck was wrong with a guy bagging his junk.

That's good sense? Right? He's thinking about her and him and not getting something.

Okay, so maybe that's not right. If it's romance, then it's fiction and he can be the one man in the entire world who has had partners before but never got a thing from them.

It's possible.

Or she's the only woman in the same predicament. Not probable, but possible.

Or maybe it's not right because the author shouldn't be worrying about him using a rubber. It's fiction, so no one is really getting anything. A fictional character can't get the clap, right? Okay, yeah, that's a not the best example, but you get the idea.

I read more into the review and the reviewer went on to say that since it was a fantasy book, then hero can heal himself and protect himself from whatever she's got (or another he - don't want to get too many details).

That's all well and good, but then again it's not. It's good because its in the future, so we have no idea what strides have been made. It's also good because it's in the imagination of the author, so he or she can write the characters with whatever abilities they want. Heal thy self, STDs don't exist, all that jazz.

But, if the author is the one in charge of the world, then how is it wrong for the character to do what he or she would do? If the author keeps with the mindset of the character and conventions of the world he or she has created, then is it really wrong if characters aren't thinking about rubbers?

Or, and this was a very good point given to me, what if in the frantic moments leading up to the sex act, they FORGET? It happens. LOTS. That opens the door for the oops baby. That might be in the next book. Or what it he wants to procreate, but she doesn't? Just saying, they may want a totlet or they might not.

So is there a great rule saying if the book is contemporary the hero has to bag it? If it's SFF, then he doesn't? And if its UF, then it's up to the author?

I'm wondering. Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Vanessa theJeepDiva said...

I like condoms, lube, and a a bit of realism with the sex scenes I read. It is something I have never pointed out in a review though. I also do not think genre has anything to do with the condoms either. They are just a wise decision all around this day in age.

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Thanks Vanessa. I'm glad you said that. I appreciate your honesty. :-) Good points made.